Bray Wanderers 0-6 UCD

placeholder BRAY WANDERERS (0) 0 UCD (1) 6 D. McMillan 44, 67 Bolger 47, 57 Kane (o.g.) 58, E. McMillan 73 The Carlisle, Bray, Friday 7 May 2010 By BRIAN de SALVO There's less than two minutes on the clock as Robbie Doyle strikes, powering a left foot volley towards the top corner of Billy Brennan's net. UCD's impressive run of four successive clean sheets is already in danger. But the keeper takes off, arching in flight to flick the ball past the post. Great save. Match on. One minute before half time Bolger finds Mulhall in the box. He squeezes the ball to David McMillan who hits it past Kane from close range. One-nil. Although Bray's physical endeavour has edged the first half, UCD go in ahead with a goal scored at a critical moment. In the second half Wanderers fall apart and the Students' superior speed, technique and fluent passing exposes the home side's shortcomings to score five more. Funny old game.  Early on you wondered why the Seagulls have such a poor record this season. With Robbie Doyle lively up front, they hassled the visitors, closing them down, getting in their faces. UCD, with Rusk in for Kilduff and Harding for the rested Shortall, found it hard to get going. But the defence was sound. Bolger, named in the Irish Under 23 Squad to face England, was in the thick of it, conceding a foul against Shields then blocking the resulting free. Brennan dived to save from Doyle again on the quarter hour, Harding headed another Doyle's effort over his crossbar and Bray failed to register where it hurts most although Tuohy's long range drive was only just over. But UCD looked more likely to crack a home defence that, even in the first period, looked vulnerable under pressure. Bolger had a shot blocked and, in a rehearsal for the goal, a fine move between Mulhall and the striker was only thwarted by a good last ditch tackle from Webster. There was no shortage of commitment from Bray and it needed stronger refereeing from David McKeon to limit the physical nature of play. Ultimately substitute Mark O'Brien, on early for a clearly unfit Stephen Brennan, earned a yellow card. The debacle started in the first minute of the second half. An exquisite pass from Paul Corry released the energetic David McMillan and his low cross from the left was bundled home from close range by Bolger. Five minutes later McMillan lobbed over with keeper Kane gone walkabouts but when he repeated the error in the fifty seventh minute Bolger was quick to nail him with a well judged lob of his own. Now Bray were in disarray and a minute later Dwayne Wilson disposed of his marker and sped in from the right to fire in a low shot that Kane pushed into his own goal at the near post. Number five was a comedy of errors in a packed home goalmouth after an incisive run from Wilson set up Mulhall. His shot was hacked clear by a O'Connor but rebounded into the net from David McMillan's shins. Number six came after 73 minutes following a short corner from the right. Kane failed to deal with the attentions of Peter McMahon and Evan McMillan, just making sure that Robbie Creevy's header was going to register, stole a goal with a close range header of his own to celebrate his nomination for Airtricity player of the month. Wanderers saw out the remaining fifteen minutes with commendable spirit but the Airtricity League clearly did the club no favours with its last minute reprieve of its Premier status. Eddie Gormley would have been better off building for the future in the First Division. As it is, failing a considerable input to his squad in the transfer window, this looks like being a lorg hard season for the Seagulls. BRAY WANDERERS: Brian Kane; Shane O'Connor, David Webster, Colm Tresson, Dane Massey; Ian Tuohy (Richie Baker 55), Stephen Brennan (Mark O'Brien 19), Chris Shields, David Tyrell (Shane O'Neill 55), Robbie Doyle, Jake Kelly. UCD: Billy Brennan; Sean Harding, Evan McMillan, Andy Boyle, Ciaran Nangle; Paul Corry, Greg Bolger (Robbie Creevy 65), Chris Mulhall (Peter McMahon 70); Dwayne Wilson, David McMillan, Graham Rusk (Keith Ward 76). Referee: David McKeon