UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE Airtricity League First DivisionUCD Mount Merrion Academy

Error: Any articles to show

E-mail Print PDF

Whelan Makes It Hall White on the Night

Marc Whelan scored twice as UCD overcame Whitehall Rangers in the Leinster Senior League Senior 1A Division.Marc_Whelan


UCD AFC continued their charge towards Leinster Senior League Sunday Senior 1A glory with a magnificent 3-0 away win over Whitehall Rangers. The three points kept UCD a point ahead of Glenville in the race to be crowned champions. Two goals from Marc Whelan and another from James Timmons put the game well beyond doubt as UCD impermeable defence stood strong.


UCD began the game with Brian O'Brolchain and Stiofain Sexton up front as they reverted to a 4-4-2 formation with talismanic figure Niall Daly missing. Whelans, Michael and Marc were on the wings and James Timmons was partnered in midfield by Ronan Lynagh. UCD's defence comprised Brian O'Reilly, Steve Dillon, Cormac O'Brolchain and John Bourke. Conor McGroarty returned from exam imposed exile to take over in goal.


UCD nearly took a very early lead with Marc Whelan clipping a free kick goalwards only for it to be deflected wide. This attack set the tempo for the game and UCD dominated from the off. James Timmons was as energetic as ever battling for possession and feeding Michael Whelan down the left who gave his full back a torrid time.


It was Brian O'Brolchain's second game back from injury and he was feeling his way back into the flow of things. Flicking a ball to feet over the opposing defender he left him for dead as he headed towards goal. Two more defenders were left to eat dust as O'Brolchain was in no mood to hang around. His perfectly placed ball across the goal was slid home by James Timmons. His boundless energy is sure to earn him the nickname Tigger.


The wide pitch suited UCD as both Whelan's tore at their opposite full backs. Sexton and O'Brolchain up front gave the defence no time on the ball and UCD's defence mirrored this approach regarding Whitehall's attackers.


UCD had to wait until the 30 minute mark to further press home their advantage. Marc and Michael had swapped wings and they brought with them their scintillating form. Marc picked up the ball and played a nice ball to the feet of Sexton. he returned the favour leaving Whelan one on one with the keeper. Having faked to shoot, Whelan then brought the ball around the keeper and put the ball into the empty net.


The second half saw more of the as UCD turned up the heat. Marc Whelan, Brian O'Brolchain and Stiofain Sexton linked up early on for Sexton to flash a ball across for O'Brolchain. His attempt on goal was destined for the back of the net when Whitehall's keeper intervened to keep the score at 2-0.


UCD made it three soon after. It was after another positional switch between the Whelan's that Marc Whelan again benefitted. A clever exchange with Sexton saw him attack his full back. Whelan's shoulder dropped one way and the opposing defender flew off in that direction, Whelan moved in the other. Now left with the simple taks of beating the on rushing keeper he made no mistake and UCD had their three goal lead.


Paul Curtin, Colm Daly and Tyrone McNelis were all introduced to the fray and did not disrupt UCD's fluidity in the slightest. The chances kept coming and on another day The Students may have had more. As it was UCD prepare to do battle with Beggsboro on Tuesday with another three points in the bag.


UCD AFC: McGroarty, O'Reilly, Dillon, C O'Brolchain, Bourke, Marc Whelan (McNelis), Timmons, Lynagh, Michael Whelan, Sexton (Daly), B O'Brolchain (Curtin)