UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE-AirtricityUCD Mount Merrion Academy

Error: Any articles to show

E-mail Print PDF


placeholder UCD advanced to the final of the 2010 Collingwood Cup with a dominant 1-0 win over University Ulster Jordanstown. There was cause for concern in both camps before the game as UCD had showed little spark in their first two matches and UUJ were looking to avoid a repeat of the 6-1 drubbing they suffered at the hands of the Belfield University in the Colleges and Universities Football League Semi Final. UCD started the game determined to base any success as a team on a solid back four performance. Michael Leahy and Michael Kelly were strong in the air and decisive on the ground and were aided throughout by Mark McGinlay, who stepped in for the injured Ger Barron. In a game that was full of chances it was easy to forget the immense contribution from the UCD back five. The strength in depth of the UCD team was highlighted early in the first half when Michael Kelly was unfortunate to give away a penalty when reaching for a ball. A clumsy more than cynical foul led to the referee pointing to the spot. Mark McGinlay saw his opportunity to stamp his name on the match with a superb save to maintain the 0-0 scoreline. The first chance fell to Dave McMillan as he steamed through on goal but with the possibility of too many options he rolled the ball just wide of the post and the UUJ defence lived to fight another day. This was not to be the end of UCD's ventures into their oppositions half. McMillan was at it again as he attempted to forge a 'fox in the box' reputation for himself but all he could muster was a wild effort that flew over the bar. UCD were knocking on the UUJ door and it was only a matter of time before they door gave in. The breakthrough came after seventy minutes of play when Mark Langtry burst down the left and towards the bye line. As the line came closer he suddenly looked up and spotted Peter McMahon lurking in the box, the ball was expertly timed leaving McMahon with a simple finish, they say great strikers make it look simple. UCD were in the ascendancy at this stage and continued to pour forward. Repelling everything that came their way, Leahy and Kelly were joined by Langtry and O'Connor to ensure a clean sheet. With little time remaining UCD had the chance to put the game beyond doubt when Robbie Creevy, a second half sub, burst into the box and slammed a shot at the keeper that was saved as was the resulting rebound and the ball went away for a corner. UCD play Galway in the final tomorrow. They beat Magee 4-1 in the other semi final. Galway have scored 4 goals in each of their games in this tournament and will make for an interesting final against a UCD team that have consistently kept the score down at both ends. UCD: McGinlay, O'Connor, Leahy, Kelly, Timmons, Fallon, Corry, Langtry, McMahon, Belhout, McMillan Subs: Creevy for Fallon (55), Houston for Belhout (75)