UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE Airtricity League First DivisionUCD Mount Merrion Academy

Error: Any articles to show

E-mail Print PDF

Colleges and Universities League: Trinity 2-2 UCD AFC

UCD drew 2-2 away to Trinity in the latest round of fixtures in the Colleges and Universities League.trinity_crest


UCD left College Park with only a point following a last minute equaliser after a thrilling Senior Colours game. Trinity lead for a brief period in the first half before UCD stormed back into the game and lead 2-1 at the break. The came heartbreak for the Belfield Students as Trinity grabbed a share of the spoils.


UCD began the game brightly with some intricate passing movements probing for an opening in the Trinity defence that failed to materialise as The Boys in Blue were forced to take strikes from long range in the early parts of the game to attempt to go ahead. Trinity soaked up the pressure and looked to hit UCD on the break. This tactic paid off after twenty minutes when a break down the left lead to a scuffed shot across the UCD box and the Trinity striker was first to react and poke the ball home.


UCD sprung to life as Creevy drove UCD forward, stinging the palms of the opposition keeper on a number of occasions. Trinity were retreating further into their own half as UCD poured forward and one such break lead to UCD's equalising goal. Mark Langtry picked up the ball on the left hand side of midfield and powered forward, eluding the challenge of 3 Trinity defenders before firing the ball past the Trinity keeper.


UCD grabbed the lead just before the break when a long ball forward found the chest of Samir Belhout, he laid the ball off for Robbie Creevy who slammed a shot across the goal which was finished expertly at the back post, by the Trinity right back.


UCD continued to dominate the game and could have gone further in front had they taken the opportunities that fell their way. Samir Belhout made a chance for himself drifting past two defenders before advancing on the keeper, his shot flew just over the bar.


Robbie Creevy was next to try his luck with an acrobatic bicycle kick that the Trinity keeper held onto at the second attempt. Tyrone McNelis then raced onto a through ball rounded the keeper and pulled the ball back but the pass just eluded the arriving UCD attackers.


Trinity pushed their tall centre half up front for the final 5 minutes of the game and it paid off as he won a header in the box that was not properly dealt with by the UCD defence and eventually the ball was scrambled across the line.


UCD AFC: McGroarty, Fallon, O'Connor, Leahy, C O'Brolchain, Timmons, McCabe (O'Halloran), Doyle (McNelis), Langtry, Creevy, Belhout (B O'Brolchain)