UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE Airtricity League First DivisionUCD Mount Merrion Academy

News image

vs Shelbourne

Tolka Park | Fri 29th Oct - KO: 7.45pm

News image

vs Shelbourne

Tolka Park | Fri 29th Oct - KO: 7.45pm

E-mail Print PDF

UCD reach CUFL Premier Division Final!

UCD 1 MAYNOOTH UNIVERSITY 1 (AET- UCD won 4-2 on pens)

Match Report thanks to John HudsonCUFL

This thrilling Colleges and Universities Premier League Semi Final tie at Belfield was all about penalties.

Five times Premier champions UCD eventually came through to reach another final but they had to do it the hard way against an excellent Maynooth side bidding to reach only their second ever decider.

The story of the game was the penalties. One for each side put away in normal time and then after another 20 minutes of extra time into the drama of the spot kick shoot out which went in favour of UCD 4-2.

Niall Corbet was the UCD hero saving from Jackson Ryan and Jake Corrigan to hand John Dineen the opportunity to convert the fifth UCD penalty and send them into another final.

Ryan had put Maynooth in front on 73 minutes when his penalty beat Corbet after referee Coiin Duffy had deemed Georgie Kelly to have handled in the box has he came out with the ball following a corner.

The tie looked to be going Maynooth's way with just three minutes remaining until Duffy spotted a push on UCD defender Maxi Kouogun as the central defender attempted the get a shot on goal.

The resultant penalty was coolly put away by Kelly to rescue UCD and sent the game into extra time which yielded no further scores.

UCD's Gareth Coughlan, Conor Cannon, Greg Sloggett and Dineen all converted their spot kicks with Kelly keeping out Youseff Mahdy's effort.Jsson Grouse and Stephen Dunne were both on target for Maynooth.

Samir Belhout might have had UCD in front after 25 minutes but he failed to beat Michael Kelly from close in after a Timmy Molloy broke to him.
While David Doyle at the other end shot wide after running on the Darragh Markey's superb pass and Jackson Ryan who had replaced the injured David Doyle cracked a free kick off the UCD crossbar.

UCD pressed strongly after the break and the Maynooth 'keeper Kelly did well to keep out a Daire O'Connor point blank drive and when the ball came back to the UCD forward his cross into the six yard area was headed wide by the diving Kelly.

But the Maynooth penalty to put them in front changed all that.

UCD attempted to get back on terms and Belhout saw the excellent Kelly keep out two further efforts.

Josh Collins did have the ball in the Maynooth net only to be penalised for a push.

But with time running out Kouogun was fouled and as he had done in the quarter final win over Athlone IT, Donegal native Kelly rescued UCD with his well taken late penalty kick to keep their hopes of another title alive.

UCD: Niall Corbet; Dan Tobin, Maxi Kouogun, Josh Collins, Sean Coyne; Greg Sloggett, Timmy Molloy; Samir Belhout, Daire O'Connor, Jason McClelland; Georgie Kelly.
SUBS: Conor Cannon (for O'Connor 63 mins), John Dineen (for Molloy 63 mins), Youseff Mahdy (for McClelland 69 mins), Gareth Coughlan (for Belhout 80 mins). Liam Scales, Kieran Bowers, Gavin Sheridan.

MAYNOOTH UNIVERSITY: Michael Kelly; Mark Slater, Darragh Gannon, Stephen Dunne, Jake Corrigan; Fuad Sule; Jason Grouse, Jack Bayle, Darragh Markey, Cillian Duffy; David Doyle.
SUBS: Jackson Ryan (for Doyle 32 mins), John McKeown (for Bayle 56 mins), Sean Noble (for Duffy 69 mins), Conor Mooney, Cian O'Sullivan, Conor Dunne, Paul Cleary.

REFEREE: Colin Duffy
Assistants: John McCarthy, Derek Rooney.