UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE Airtricity League First DivisionUCD Mount Merrion Academy

Error: Any articles to show

E-mail Print PDF

CUFL – Quarter Final Spot Secured

With Christmas fast approaching we have secured our place in the quarter finals of the Colleges and Universities League after topping the group in the Premier Division North.CUFL

Diarmuid McNally's side sealed their passage thanks to victories over DCU, DIT, Trinity and Dundalk IT as well as a hard earned draw with Maynooth. Conor Cannon has been the star of the show so far, grabbing five goals which has fired him to the top of the goal scoring charts and he will be hopeful of continuing his form after Christmas in the knockout stages, as well as in the Collingwood Cup at the end of February.

McNally's side will now play host to Athlone IT in the quarter final, with the tie set to be played in late January or early February with details still to be confirmed.

Maynooth 2 – 2 UCD

Conor Cannon rescued a point for UCD late on in the opening game of the CUFL Premier Division North.

UCD named a strong starting team but trailed to the home side after 5 minutes when Jake Corrigan's shot took a deflection that gave goalkeeper Gavin Sheridan no chance.

In a game filled with free-flowing football, Maynooth took their slender advantage with them into the half time break. UCD would find an equaliser just before the hour mark as Daire O'Connor would follow up on a parry from keeper Michael Kelly to hit the back of the net.

The Dublin side couldn't build on this momentum however as exciting prospect Jason Grouse would restore Maynooth's advantage four minutes after the equaliser.

UCD went in search for another equaliser and sent on Cannon with 15 minutes to go and his presence made the difference as the pressure started to build on Maynooth. His endeavour would be rewarded as his powerfully-struck shot could not be stopped by Kelly.

UCD 2 – 1 DIT

After picking up a late valuable point against Maynooth, Diarmuid McNally's side were determined to respond in their first home game of the campaign and picked up their first win of the campaign as they defeated DIT in a fantastically spirited contest.

Goals from Colleges & Universities international Jason McClelland and Samir Belhout either side of a Robert Duggan strike was the difference and enough to secure a valuable three points and our opening win of the campaign.

UCD 8 – 1 Trinity

In what has always been a tightly contested rivalry, UCD hit Trinity College hard in this battle between Ireland's two prestigious Universities in Belfield.

Trinity took the lead in the opening minutes through Niall Mullen and had a second goal ruled out for offside. Up until the last quarter of the first half, things looked quite well for Trinity until Gary O'Neill hit a trademark free-kick into the back of the net. This ignited a period of chaos for Trinity as they shipped 5 goals including a Conor Cannon hat trick before the break.

We then extended our advantage further in the second half with Daire O'Conubhair getting his second and Gareth Coughlan and Liam Scales also getting on the scoresheet.

DCU 1 – 3 UCD

After a slow start to the game, we fell behind after just five minutes, however it was just the wake-up call we needed as it didn't take us long to respond. Conor Cannon continued his fine goal scoring form as he grabbed his fourth and fifth in the last two games and sixth of the campaign with a first half brace to send us into half time with the lead. Maxi Kouogun then added a third shortly after half time with a brilliant header to secure a valuable three points and mathematically secure our place in the last eight.

Dundalk IT 0 – 3 UCD

With our passage to the quarter finals already secured, Diarmuid McNally's side headed to Oriel Park to face a talented Dundalk IT side who needed a victory to have any chance of securing a last eight spot. After a tense opening to the game which saw us dominate large parts but fail to break the deadlock, Gary O'Neill headed home our opener after half an hour. With Dundalk pushing to try get back into the game we looked to push on and maintain control of the game and on the hour mark Ben Hanrahan opened his account for the club as he doubled our advantage. Gareth Coughlan then added a third to seal the victory and top spot in the group.


6 – Conor Cannon
3 – Daire O'Connor
2 – Gary O'Neill, Gareth Coughlan
1 – Jason McClelland, Samir Belhout, Ben Hanrahan, Liam Scales, Maxi Kouogun