Report: Blanch IT 3-1 UCD

Blanchardstown IT 3-1 UCD, College and Universities Premier Division


UCD suffered a disappointing defeat on a cold and windy Wednesday afternoon in Blanchardstown IT, and manager Diarmuid McNally will rue a number of missed chances.

The boys in blue started the game well and tested the opposition goalkeeper a couple of times in the opening minutes, first Barry McCabe’s long shot was saved while Robbie Benson should have done better with his shot that went straight at the ‘keeper.

Then Blanchardstown IT took the lead, UCD gave the ball away and the Blanch IT midfielder then won a strong tackle before the ball deflected to a team mate who finished well from the edge of the box past Mark McGinley to make it 1-0.

Dave McMillan then had a close range shot blocked before UCD’s next chance, Tyrone McNelis’ cross clipped a defender and just evaded McMillan at the back post.

UCD were having a good spell and Samir Belhout’s impressive crossfield run ended in a shot that went just over the bar, The Students were knocking on the door. Belhout should have scored soon afterwards but opted to try and chip the advancing 'keeper without success.

Blanchardstown are managed by newly appointed Shamrock Rovers assistant manager Colin Hawkins, and they almost doubled their lead. UCD keeper Mark McGinley came for a cross but punched the ball towards his own goal, luckily Tristan Dent was on hand and hack the ball away. McGinley was subbed at the time due to a knee injury.

Barry McCabe’s quick free kick found McMillan who turned but saw his shot saved.

UCD started the second half well and should have been back on level terms, a driven McNelis cross found Belhout, but his effort from inside the six yard box hit the post.

McCabe’s impressive low volley from 30 yards and then a Robbie Benson effort were both well saved by the ‘keeper.

Eric Barber then made two excellent saves to keep UCD in it, firstly he tipped a header over the bar and then saved one on one.

Blanch IT then doubled their lead in controversial fashion. A cross curled towards goal helped by the wind, Barber caught the ball, his feet were behind the line, the ball however was not but the assistant referee raised his flag to give the goal even though he was level with the 18 yard box and not on the end line which would have given him a much better view of the incident, despite UCD protests the ref awarded the goal. This was with eight minutes remaining.

UCD grabbed a goal back through sub Brian O’Brochlain who bundled in a the back post but as UCD pressed for a late equalIiser, Blanch hit them on the break to make it 3-1.

UCD team – McGinley (Barber HT), Langtry, O’Brochlain, Dent (B O’Brochlain), McLoughlin, Belhout, McCabe, Hanley, Benson, McNelis (Whelan), McMillan