U19s Stay Top After Tallaght Point

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 UCD - U19 Elite Division


UCD stay top of the U19 Elite Division with this draw at Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght last Saturday morning.

A freezing cold morning in South Dublin, still managed to bring a big crowd to the top of the table clash between these two sides. Both teams were together at the top of the table before the game with just goal difference separating them.

After the tight game last August,  in which Rovers came with a narrow 4-3 victory, this game was going to be no different, with both teams not giving up many chances. 

But for UCD it seemed like it was going to happen all over again with Shamrock Rovers taking the lead after just five minutes, A misplaced pass from UCD’s Steven Byrne put Mark Sanford in one on one with UCD’s keeper Niall Corbet and the sticker calmly slotted home the opening goal. Rovers took the lead in the game in August after just 40 seconds.

UCD then showed why they are top of the table as they got to grips with the game, keeping plenty of possession and not letting Rovers get on the ball. UCD controlled most of the half from then on, with some fine passes and link up play which lead to them creating plenty of chances throughout the game.

A Robbie Slater free kick was saved by the keeper while Sean Coyne shot over. Ryan Malone also slicked a shot side from just outside the box.

UCD’s want to always be on the ball, passing it, caused them to have a few difficult moments towards the end of the half, When Kilian Cantwell got caught in possession it gave Dean Ebbe a chance to get a shot off, but luckily for Cantwell, Ebbe fired well over. That was Rovers best chance of the half apart from the goal.

UCD gave Rovers a warning of what was to come for the rest of the game, with a great moved down the right and a storming run forward from Adam Zayed who played Ola Adeyemo in and he finished past the Rovers keeper, but unfortunately for UCD he was judged to be offside.

Right at the end of the half the impressive Colm Crowe had a shot well saved by Stephen Morris in the Rovers goal.

Just like the first half, there was a quick goal when the action resumed after the break. And, also just like the opening goal, there was a bit of careless play involved as Rovers gave the ball away and when it broke for Adam Zayed he found himself with an abundance of space in which to drive a hard low shot towards goal which the Rovers keeper could do very little about.

UCD controlled the ball  for the rest of the game as Rovers sat off and defended well. Niall Corbet in the UCD goal was only called upon once in the second half, with and easy save down to his left.

Ola Adeyemo was a threat for Rovers in the second half with his ability to hold up the ball and right at the end, he linked up well with Adam Whelan, who was only stopped by a great last gasp tackle from Rhys Gorman.

UCD will be disappointed not to have gained all three points but will be happy to remain top of the table.

UCD will now look forward to a cup game on Monday night against Longford Townat 8pm in Flancare Park.

UCD team – Corbet, Traynor, Coyne, Cantwell, Byrne, Malone (Hurley, 60), Whelan, Crowe, Slater (Quinn, 85), Zayed, Adeyemo.

Pictures can we seen here on the Shamrock Rovers facebook page