UCD AFC Official Website

oneillsSSE Airtricity League First DivisionUCD Mount Merrion Academy

Error: Any articles to show

E-mail Print PDF

Mid Season Friendly: UCD AFC 0-4 Aberdeen FC

UCD AFC completed their trio of friendlies with a 4-0 loss to Aberdeen FC.IMG 5113

Mid Season Friendly
Tuesday 16th July 2013
UCD Bowl

UCD AFC                   0 - 4        Aberdeen FC

                                                Magennis 5,

                                                Hayes 33,

                                                McGinn 46,

                                                Pawlett 88.

By Peter Branigan

UCD were well beaten by a physically strong and well-organised Aberdeen team in this mid-season friendly at the UCD Bowl on Tuesday evening. The Scottish Premier League side dominated the first half and their aerial bombardment could have yielded more than the two goals it did. UCD were much more competitive in the second half, and they created a few half chances in between the Pittodrie side’s third and fourth goals.

IMG 5102Aberdeen started the game well, and they passed the ball with intent. It took them five minutes to break the deadlock. Clark Robertson was the provider as his cross from the left was met with a strong header by Josh Magennis, who got to the ball over UCD skipper Mick Leahy. The nature of the goal was a sign of things to come in the first-half.

Former Celtic player Barry Robson provided the cross for Aberdeen’s next chance in the seventh minute. Again the Aberdeen player, this time Oughterard-native Joe Shaughnessy, got up well to force a good low save from Ger Barron down to his left.

Barron was called into action three minutes later as he saved another Magnessis header, following a cross from Northern Ireland international Niall McGinn. The ball rebounded to Johnny Hayes but Barron was up quickly to make a smart save at his near post.

Hayes turned provider in the nineteenth minute as he crossed for Robson. The winger’s header had Barron scrambling but it was just over the bar.

It took until the half hour mark for UCD to have their first chance of the match. Barry McCabe’s excellent through ball put Gary Burke in space on the edge of the Aberdeen box. The winger’s first touch was a bit heavy however and it took him away from goal. He still managed to put in a dangerous cross but there was no one threatening for UCD and Aberdeen were able to clear.

Aberdeen scored their second almost immediately. Robson played a deep cross from just inside the UCD half on the left-wing. Magennis failed to make aIMG 5315 clean contact with the ball and instead fell to Hayes. The Irishman took a nice touch and rounded Barron before shooting. Leahy’s slide tackle on the line could not prevent the ball from going in. Aberdeen were now deservedly two up.

A good run by Willo Flood saw him beat two UCD players in the middle of the park, before he put Robertson through. The full-back attempted to cross it, when a shot might have been a better option, but it never reached Magennis as UCD cleared it.

McGinn had a great chance from eleven yards in the thirty ninth minute, but it deflected off a few players before going wide. McGinn had a chance a minute later as he went on a solo run before shooting. Barron saved it low to his left.

UCD made seven changes at the break and it looked as though they might be in trouble when Aberdeen scored in the opening minute of the half. College were far more competitive in the second-half, however.

Aberdeen’s third though, when it did come, saw a great finish by McGinn. The ball had deflected off the UCD skipper and the winger finished on the volley from eleven yards.

McCabe did well to win the ball for UCD in the centre of the park in the fifty first minute. He laid it off for Craig Walsh who elected to shoot from forty yards out. Jamie Langfield had his angles covered however and the ball cleared the crossbar.

A minute later Samir Belhout thought he had scored a goal for UCD after rounding Langfield, but the linesman’s flag went up for offside.

IMG 5195Ayman Ben Mohamed impressed for College in the second-half and he was winning the battle with Shaughnessy before the Aberdeen player was taken off. Ben Mohamed continued to torment however and a mazy run in the seventieth minute drew a foul from Flood. The free-kick was dangerous but Aberdeen were once again solid at the back and the defence cleared the ball.

UCD continued to press and a good passing move between Belhout and Michael Collins saw the former lay off the ball for the latter. The effort was just wide to the left of Langfield’s goal.

At the other end Conor O’Donnell, who had replaced Barron in the UCD goal, and Sean Coyne combined to prevent Aberdeen scoring a fourth. The goalkeeper made the first save as he got down low to prevent McGinn from scoring. Coyne attempted to run the ball out of his own box and proceeded to lose it, before saving his own blushes with a super defensive block.

UCD had another half chance two minutes later when Colm Crowe put in a perfect pass over the top to Belhout. Russell Anderson put in a great challenge just as Belhout was about to pull the trigger.

O’Donnell made another smart save to deny Gregg Wylde in the seventy ninth minute but Peter Pawlett would score Aberdeen’s fourth with two minutes to go.

Tyrone McNelis rounded the outrushing Langfield in the first minute of stoppage time but he pushed the ball too far in front of himself and it rolled agonisingly wide before he could give UCD a goal which their second half performance would have deserved.

So this experimental UCD team were well beaten in the end. They were much improved in the second half however and that should give them some confidence heading into Friday’s nights encounter at Tallaght.

UCD AFC 1st half: Ger Barron, Colin O’Brien, Sean Coyne, Ryan McLoughlin, Mick Leahy (capt.), Barry McCabe, Tyrone McNelis, Craig Walsh, Robbie Benson, Gary Burke, Tom O’Halloran

UCD AFC 2nd half: Ger Barron (Conor O’Donnell 64), Mick Leahy (O’Halloran 54), Sean Coyne (McNelis 84), Liam Traynor, Samir Belhout, Colm Crowe, Barry McCabe, Craig Walsh (Adam Whelan 64), Michael Collins, Michael Kelly, Ayman Ben Mohamed

Aberdeen FC: Jamie Langfield, Joe Shaughnessy (Chris Clark 69), Clark Robertson, Russell Anderson, Mark Reynolds, Willo Flood, Ryan Jack, Barry Robson (Gregg Wylde 69), Johnny Hayes (Peter Pawlett 69), Niall McGinn, Josh Magennis (Scott Vernon 69)

Subs not used: Nicky Weaver, Jamie Masson, Craig Storrie, Nicky Low, Declan McManus, Cammy Smith, Scott McKenna

Referee: Derek Tomney

Attendance: 278