Match Report: Cobh 0 - 2 UCD

Cobh Ramblers 0 - 2 UCD AFC (Georgie Kelly x 2)SSE-Airtricity-League

After a difficult start to the season, Collie O'Neill's side looked to get back to winning ways against Cobh Ramblers and did just that. A goal in each half from Georgie Kelly was enough to secure the victory and send the students back to Dublin with a much needed three points.

Georgie Kelly returned to the starting line up and will be looking to stay there now after his man of the match performance secured the victory.

It wasn't all plain sailing however for Collie's side as Niall Corbet was nearly caught out as his touch on a back pass took the ball a little to close to the on rushing striker for comfort however he did well to clear the danger.

The opening goal came mid way through the first half after some good play around the edge of the box, Ryan Swan chipped the ball over the defender to find Georgie Kelly who then lifted the ball over the keeper to give us the lead.

Georgie Kelly was unlucky not to extend our lead then after a brilliant run by Cathal Brady put him through on goal and after a brilliant save by the keeper the rebound fell to Georgie Kelly only for the ball to bobble as he went to shoot and the shot went over the bar.

Cobh then looked to get back into the game before half time and after some good play down the right wing a back heel at the edge of the box put them through only for the shot to go just wide under pressure from Maxi Kouogun.

Almost on the half time whistle, Kieran Marty Waters thought he was through only for a last ditch tackle to put the ball out and clear the danger.

Just after the break, UCD had penalty appeals turned down as Georgie Kelly looked to have been brought down from behind, however their protests were waved away by the referee Andrew Mullally.

Cathal Brady looked a threat every time he got the ball and after some good work down the right side his cross was half cleared and fell to Mark Langtry at the edge of the area only for his shot to be tipped around the post with a good save by the Cobh keeper down to his right.

As the half wore on the game became stretched as Cobh pushed to get an equaliser, and Georgie Kelly was played through however the Cob keeper did just enough to put him off as he went to shoot and it allowed the defender to get back to clear the danger.

Soon after, a great ball from Dylan Watts picked out Kieran Marty Waters who beat his man down the left before his pull back just missed Cathal Brady in the middle.

Georgie Kelly then sealed the game in the 84th minute as he rose highest to head Kieran Marty Waters corner back into the far corner to extend our lead.

Late on as Cobh pushed for the equaliser, Ryan Swan got a chance to close out the game however his shot just flashed wide of the right post.

Overall it was a far improved performance by the students, with Maxi Kouogun and Brian Shortall dealing comfortably with Cobh's attacks and Georgie Kelly's two goals setting up a good win.

Next up for UCD is Athlone Town in the UCD Bowl on Friday April 1st. Kick off for that game is 7.45pm.

UCD Team: Niall Corbet, Dan Tobin, Mark Langtry, Maxi Kouogun, Brian Shortall, Gary O'Neill, Cathal Brady, Dylan Watts, Ryan Swan (Daire O'Connor), Georgie Kelly, Kieran Marty Waters

Man of the Match: Georgie Kelly